A Renewed Mental Approach
July 4, 2021
Last time I wrote about returning to my productive habits. Today I'm resolving to follow a specific plan to do exactly that. Right now, I suffer from having a handful of things to try and a lack of focus. The focus begins now.
For July 2021, I resolve to practise ignoring physical issues related to bowling. I resolve to put mechanical issues out of my head, gently but firmly. I resolve to focus on the mental aspects of my game, namely:
- Daily visualizations: pin splash, an aggressively relaxed feeling, performing as usual when the match is on the line.
- This mantra: "When I'm at my best, I can beat anyone in a match. When I'm at my best, nobody is guaranteed to beat me."
- Behind the approach: rehearse the shot in my mind, so that when I get onto the approach, my body simply does what I have rehearsed.
- On the approach: robot mind or mind switched off, whichever feels more comfortable in the moment.
- After the shot: laugh gently at my impulse to care about the result, prepare to throw the next shot.
- Walking to the lanes: remind myself of this mental practice plan, laugh gently at my impulse to care about the score.
I'm going to remind myself every day that this is my plan for July. I'm not sure which will be more difficult: sticking with the plan in the face of bad results or good results. Last time, I started scoring well, then I fell back into old habits, and then I ended up back here again.
Let's see what happens.
Many thanks to 5-Pin Universe's interview of Taylor Michel for prompting me to get my ass back in gear.